- Children's Programs
- Redwood City, CA, USA
- Part Time
Community Gatepath is currently hiring a Program Specialist for the Autism Social Connections program. This position is responsible for teaching multimedia classes, provide group instruction, and 1:1 supports for youth with autism in socialization activities.
This is a part-time position (10-15 hours/week.) This program consists of 3 consecutive classes on Saturdays from 10:00 to 5:00 with independent work time before, after and periodically during the week. We will consider Program Aide level candidates for this position as well. Level of education and experience will determine pay rate and job level.
Autism Social Connection gives kids and teens with High Functioning Autism an opportunity for socialization through film making. Our participants learn the film making process, from scripting to directing, camera work to editing. Film projects vary class to class as each group decides what they want to do, such as stories, commercials, documentaries, etc. It is very kid directed with guidance from our professional facilitators. ASC staff plays an important role within the agency by providing kids and teens with autism the opportunity for social engagement through the process of film making.
Go here http://www.autismsocialconnection.org and click on the "Film Group" link to see what they've been up to!
Duties and Responsibilities
- Direct care and supervision of Autism Social Connections participants enrolled in multimedia courses
- Collaborate with other program specialist to develop and implement curriculum consistent with Autism Social Connection program plans, participants needs, and Community Gatepath Agency philosophy
- Lead/co-lead class activities to facilitate participant's social engagement and to meet their individual needs, goals, and interests
- May provide direct supervision of Volunteers and On-call staff in the classroom, thus enabling them to assist in instruction and class activities
- Act as point of contact and provide excellent customer service for parents and caregivers; provide feedback when requested and respond to questions when necessary
- Responsible for maintaining class rosters and coordinate class schedules (i.e. calendars, lunch break schedule)
- Use clinical insights, educational motivational techniques, and a commitment to excellence to promote growth in the classroom
- Maintain all appropriate records including participant goals, attendance records, teacher files, lesson plans consistent with classroom goals and objectives
- Report through educational and clinical notes on participants and participate in treatment team meetings as requested
- Write concise, legible, high quality reports
- Responsible for classroom materials, supplies, equipment and maintenance of related rooms
- Develop effective classroom management techniques consistent with established participant goals, treatment plans and agency policy
Qualification for the Position
- Experience in working with youth and adults with autism. Preferred experience in a classroom environment with this population a plus.
- B.A./B.S. required, M.A./M.S. preferred from an accredited college or university. College course work in social services, special education, psychology or other pertinent course work, preferred. AA degree will be considered for the Aide position.
- Knowledge of and experience with social skills and special education curriculum development and planning for youth and young adults
- Ability to manage challenging behaviors and provide classroom management